Hemp seed oil comes from the small seeds of the Cannabis sativa plant. The seeds have a rich profile of nutrients, fatty acids, and useful bioactive compounds, even they do not contain the same levels of compounds as the plant itself. The base recommended dosage of hemp oil use states that four drops should be taken three times a day which promotes the overall well-being of the patient.
Full-spectrum hemp oil that also contains plant matter may add other effective compounds, which may help with certain health issues
These are some of the properties that it exerts.
- Anti – inflammatory
- Skin regenerative
Hemp leave(Image: OlegMalyshev / Getty)
Uses and Health Benefits
The hemp seed oil has tremendous application for personal use, much of which has been understood only recently. These health benefits are some of the most prominent of using hemp oil.
Hemp oil helps to treat multiple issues such as chronic pain, depression, back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, depression, fibromyalgia and others.
Balances the nervous system, mental clarity, improving the supports the healthy response against inflammation and acts as an antioxidant agent are some of what hemp oil can help.
Recommended Hemp Oil Use and Dosage
For treating severe problems, you can increase the dose of hemp oil .
- Harmonization and Prevention of Body Functions
Three drops of Hemp oil in 2-5% concentration twice daily i.e. in morning and evening or 1-3milligrams of CBD per dose.
- Digestive or Stomach Problems/ Mild Pain/ Right Sleep
Three drops of hemp oil in the morning and evening. Use 2-5% concentration of the oil or 2-6 milligram of oil per dose.
- For Stress, Depression, and AnxietyThree drops of hemp oil in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening. Use 2-5% concentration or 10-15 milligram of hemp per dose.(These quantities vary from person to person and these are for an average adult weighing around 60-90kgs)
How Hemp oil Helps in Alleviating the Chronic Pain?
Many people suffer from chronic pain which may manifest in organs, joints, body, muscles, cavities, ligaments.
The patient could be incapacitated and functionless due to chronic pain associated with diseases. CBD supports muscles, healthy joints, organ function and promotes pain relief.
CBD interacts with the Endocannabinoid system and impacts the nociceptive pathways which help in the reduction of inflammation that acts as a leading cause of chronic pain and disease.
Hemp Oil use: Sublingual ingestion which measures around 2.5-20 milligrams at least for 25-30 days.
For alleviating pain, hemp oil could be the best choice because it contains essential fatty acids.
Eicosanoidsis produced, thanks to these fatty acids which help the body to produce and balance the body control and keep the body temperature and pain levels in balance.
Hemp Oil Dosage use For Various Conditions
- For increasing appetite in patients who have cancer: 2.5 milligrams THC orally with or without the inclusion of 1mg CBD at least for six weeks.
- For treating epilepsy: 200-300 mg CBD orally at least for 4-5 months.
- For treating sleeping disorders: 40-160 mg CBD orally.
- For treating schizophrenia: 40-1280 milligram orally daily for around four weeks.
- For treating glaucoma: place a single dose sublingually (i.e. under your tongue) measuring around 20-40 milligram. Doses greater than the recommended dose result in increased eye pressure.
Pros of Hemp Oil Use
- It helps in lowering inflammation, reduces nausea, anxiety, and seizures.
- It acts as an antitumor agent with antioxidant effects.
- It helps in prevention and improvement of neurodegenerative disorders.
Hemp oil is emollient and highly nutritious type of vegetable oil. It relieves the aching area and lowers the inflammation by absorbing rapidly.
It results in the fast healing process when applied to the warm area which leads to faster and deeper penetration.
You can help in soothing the pain sites by mixing essential oils with hemp oil.
Cons of Hemp Oil Use
No side effects have been recorded in using hemp oil as a pain relief, but significant quantities may affect the overall body.
Some of the side effects are:
- Allergic reactions
- It is toxic if consumed in large amounts example 203-305 fl. Oz or 6-9 liters.
- Use the recommended dosage of hemp oil and for the proper duration. Consult your doctor before using hemp oil.
- Hemp oil is sensitive to air and light which means it gets spoiled and rancid extremely fast, so you need to keep it in the fridge after opening it.
Pain Management By Hemp Oil
For Nerve Pain or Neuropathy
Both of these conditions result in nerve damage which has multiple causative factors such as increased blood sugar, obesity, alcohol, diseases, vitamin deficiency, and others.
Nerves spread throughout our brain and body. This pain can be very strong and fast within an hour and comes back in different areas.
Painkiller mixture: Mix hemp oil measuring 60 ml or 2 oz with wintergreen essential oil around 30-35 drops. Apply a moderate amount of oil and massage well on the warm area. Repeat this for a week.
Hemp seed oil used in combination with essential oils and antioxidants to reduce inflammation.
Anti-inflammatory hemp oil recipe:
Cistus and Helichrysum essential oils 15 drops each and add around 30ml or 1oz of hemp oil. Blend it and apply on inflamed areas. To ensure complete healing repeat it for a few days.
For Back Pain
Nerves and muscles are present on our back which may result in a backache due to our faulty habits. These include lifting weights, sitting postures and straining your back in sports injuries or accidents.
Back Pain Recipe: Add hemp seed oil around 30 ml or 1oz, birch essential oil and Frankincense essential oil both around 10-15 drops and form a mixture. Several times during the day apply this topically to help relieve the back pain.
For Headaches and Migraines
Headaches or migraines may affect certain parts or whole-brain which may last for a few days. It can be severe and may cause disability.
A warning sign associated with a headaches or migraine could be the pain for which you need to consult a doctor or follow this natural recipe:
Add grapefruit essential oil around seven drops, hemp seed oil around 10 ml and peppermint essential oil around 3-4 drops.
Apply a small amount on the back of the neck and temples and rub softly. It helps reduce inflammation, in improving circulation along with oxygen, and make you happy.
For Joint Pain & Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is a form of autoimmune disorder that affects joints, skin, eyes, heart and blood vessels. It may result in a deformation of bones by bone erosion if left untreated.
It is advised to incorporate 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of Omega 6 and Omega 3 which helps in the suppression of inflammation which occurs due to rheumatoid arthritis.
Mix Frankincense essential oil and birch essential oil and around 20-30 drops of hemp oil around 60ml or 2 oz. Apply this mixture on the aching area 4-5 times a week with a five-day break.
For Varicose Veins
These are enlarged veins found on legs due to the circulatory problems. Varicose veins are extremely painful.
Hemp oil helps to relieve the swelling, pain, heaviness, and visibility of enlarged veins associated with varicose veins.
Reduce the pain and looks related with varicose veins by suing the following mixture: add immortelle essential oil and Cypress essential oil around 20-25 drops with hemp oil measuring around 45ml or 1 ½ Oz.
Benefits of Hemp Oil For the Treatment of Chronic Pain
By using hemp oil, you can relieve chronic pain. Following are the known benefits of hemp oil which relieve the chronic pain:
- Muscle relaxant
- Heals the sleeping patterns
- Helps in reducing anxiety
- Reduces depression
- Reduces the touch fear
- Reduces PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder).
- Easy to use
- Does not feel like a medicine
Hemp Oil For Eczema
This study found out that people taking hempseed oil internally benefitted in their symptoms of atopic dermatitis ( eczema). PUFAs ( polyunsaturated fatty acids ) is what hempseed oil is very rich, which have been noted to be extremely healthy and strongly anti-inflammatory. Within about 20 weeks, the plasma lipid profiles of patients changed considerably. The increased healthy fats in their blood was improving their skin. Omega – 3 and omega – 6 fatty acids in hempseed oil are the reason for this effect.
Hemp seed oil use:
Take 1 – 2 tbsp of hemp oil daily. This provides a significant amount of healthy PUFAs.
Hempseed oil for Inflammation
People who suffer from chronic inflammatory diseases should really try hempseed oil.
Hemp seed oil use:
To start seeing its effects you can take 1 tablespoon of hempseed oil daily.
Safe Dosage and Toxicity Issues
Hemp oil is safe to be applied topically, as well as when taken internally. The recommended hemp oil use is about 2 tablespoons daily. It starts to become toxic in large quantities.
When it comes to healthy fats, hemp oil is a powerhouse of nutrition. And it is better than flaxseed oil, which in itself is a reputed source of omega – 3. This oil is more than 40 % oils , and 80 % of these are essential fatty acids ( EFA ). These are healthy fats that are required by the body but are not synthesized inside. So, these need to be obtained from food.
Among the EFAs,
- 55 % of it is Omega – 6 ( Linoleic Acid LA)
- 22 % is Omega – 3 ( Alpha-Linolenic Acid ALA )
- 1 – 4 % Gamma-Linolenic Acid GLA which is also Omega – 6
- 0 – 4 % Stearidonic Acid which is Omega – 3
Health Benefits of Omega – 3
Omega – 3s are required for proper organ functioning. They are also required for the brain. Omega – 3s help to lower systemic inflammation, prevent excessive cognitive decline and they are great for heart health.  They are essential for normal metabolism.
Health Benefits of Omega – 6
LA performs a host of functions in the body. It is essential for alerting the immune system in response to a stressor or pathogen. This leads to inflammation, but this necessary. Omega – 6 is also required for energy production, safeguarding from allergies. It also keeps the heart tissue functioning properly. For recovering the body from fatigue can help Omega – 6.
However, a high concentration of omega – 6 in comparison to omega – 3 can lead to pro-inflammatory behavior. This is believed to set the seeds for inflammatory diseases.
What is the healthy omega – 3 to omega – 6 in diet ?
Our body doesn’t like too much of omega – 6, especially when Omega – 3 is low. The ideal ratio of omega – 6 to omega -3 is 3 : 1, which is the exact ratio in hemp oil of these essential fatty acids. In terms of EFAs, the hemp oil is the best-balanced oil. It is really important to health the ratio of EFAs.  The average American diet can have omega – 3 as many as 30 times less than omega – 6. This is a very low amount of omega – 3 to counter the negative effects of omega – 6.
Hemp Seeds ( Photo credit : rubyran2626 )
Hemp Oil : A complete protein ?
Hemp seed oil also contains some amount of protein in it. This is because the seeds themselves are an excellent source of protein. That is why they are used to make hemp protein powders. The good thing about this protein is that it is a complete protein, that is, it contains all the amino acids required by the human body. The protein content is about 20% in hemp seed oil.
This oil is very healpful for all protein related health issues of the body, due to its amazing protein content. It can help the body recover faster after workout, build muscle and tone the musculoskeletal system.
Nutritional Data For Hempseed Oil
Chemical composition of the fatty acids in weight % of the total fat content
|Linoleic Acid||52-62 %|
|α-Linolenic Acid||12-23 %|
Other Compounds Found in Hempseed Oil
|γ- tocopherol||468 mg/L|
Data taken from Source  . ND stands for not detected.
1. Efficacy of dietary hempseed oil in patients with atopic dermatitis. Callaway J, Schwab U, Harvima I, Halonen P, Mykkänen O, Hyvönen P, Järvinen T. NCBI
2. Association of Expanded Disability Status Scale and Cytokines after Intervention with Co-supplemented Hemp Seed, Evening Primrose Oils and Hot-natured Diet in Multiple Sclerosis Patients. Soheila Rezapour-Firouzi, , Seyed Rafie Arefhosseini, Mehdi Farhoudi, Mehrangiz Ebrahimi-Mamaghani, Mohammad-Reza Rashidi, Mohammad-Ali Torbati, and Behzad Baradaran. NCBI.
3. The cardiac and haemostatic effects of dietary hempseed. Delfin Rodriguez-Leyva and Grant N Pierce. Nutrition and Metabolism
4. The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids.Simopoulos AP. NCBI.
5. The Composition of Hemp Seed Oiland Its Potential as an Important Source.of Nutrition. Cary Leizer David Ribnicky Alexander Poulev Slavik Dushenkov Ilya Raskin